Wednesday 27 June 2018

Sparkly delights!! (Little Birdie dt post)

Hello friends!

I am here with my DT post for Little Birdie crafts.
Did you check out all the new products launched by Little Birdie Crafts recently? I am completely amazed by them all. Such a diverse range of products and something for everyone! I am in love with all of them. 
But today, I will be primarily focusing on the Sparkle pastes(SP). This is an amazing product and it is indeed a treat to work with them. I bet once you start you cannot keep them down. (You will be assured once you see how I have used them in my projects).

A quick heads up about the Sparkle pastes - 
  • Available in 12 beautiful colours
  • Easy to apply using a palette knife
  • No heat- setting required. Dries quickly
  • It can be scratched off gently once dry (If accidentally dropped or applied at wrong places)
  • It can be easily cleaned off the work surface/stencils. Wash with warm water when dry.
Over to my projects now!!
All these projects are my experiments with the Sparkle pastes. I am solely focusing on the different techniques of using SP in this post. I know that the post is super long and heavy, but it would be great if you could stick by till the end and check them all out :)

1) Application through Stencil (the traditional way)
This is the traditional way of using any kind of texture pastes. Here I have made two cards:
Take a card panel, the shimmer paste and a palette knife. Apply the paste through the stencil. Keep the knife flat on the surface while application to get an even finish. Gently peel off the stencil and let dry.
Tip: Advisable to wash the stencil immediately. Just in case the paste dries on the stencil, leave it dipped in warm water and then wash off. 





For my card, I matted the panel with a piece of craft foam and mounted it over my card base. Stamped the sentiment using Versafine black ink.

 I die-cut two circles of different sizes and trimmed the sentiment strip. I added some thread to the card on the textured base and adhered the bigger circle over it. Next mounted the smaller circle and the sentiment strip using foam adhesive.


The card is now ready! Few pictures of the finished card!



Supplies used:

2) Application through Stencil over distress inks (traditional way)
For my second card, I used the same stencil and Whipped cream sparkle paste. I distressed the card panel using Squeezed lemonade distress oxide. Randomly added whipped cream SP without shifting the stencil. Let it dry. Mounted this on a card base and decorated the card. 
Tip: Use darker inks if you want brighter backgrounds. The SP tones down the brightness a little bit. 



Supplies used:
Doily design stencil
Whipped cream sparkle paste

3) Application over die-cuts or die-cutting shapes after application of paste.
Here I used a palette knife to directly apply the SP over pieces of cardstock. I have used some die-cuts and a rectangular piece of cardstock.
Tip: Hold down the cardstock temporarily on a flat surface to enable even application of the SP.



a) My cards using the above die-cuts.
Foam mounted the hearts over 4"x4" notecards. Embellished them with flowers and enamel dots. Added a sentiment.
Tip: Use minimal embellishments as the texture on the die-cut itself is a treat to the eyes.  





Supplies from the store:
Madarin Glaze sparkle paste
Passion pink sparkle paste 

Handmade flowers - MoonlightHandmade flowers - Candy Mix

b) My card using the above rectangular piece of CS.
I die-cut the word "Thanks" using the SP applied rectangle above.  I die-cut the word twice more in white to layer it up. On a 4"x4" card panel, I created a background using a stencil from my stash and the whipped cream SP. Trimmed the panel and mounted it on a 4"x4" notecard. Adhered the layered word die-cut directly on this. 
Tip: No embellishments at all for this card to keep the focus on the sparkly background and the sentiment. 

Supplies from the store:
Whipped cream sparkle paste
Ginger Ale sparkle paste


4) Using the SP with Color splash
I have used the Whipped cream SP to create some wonderful pastel shades using the colour splash sprays. 
Tip: The shade/intensity of the colour can be controlled by adding more/ fewer drops of the colour splash. More the drops darker the shade.
Tip: Mix and prepare as much quantity as required and use it immediately. SP dries faster when in open.

 
I used various sprays with Whipped cream to create different shades of colours. I stencilled some scrap papers using these coloured pastes. Later converted these into tags, by adding some colour coordinating cardstock, sentiments, flowers and lastly adding some ribbons on them.  
Check the images to find the colour splash used for creating the shades. Also, find alongside the tags created using them.









Supplies from the store:
Whipped cream sparkle paste
Colour splash - Tangerine
Script stencil
Colour splash - Lime splash
Baroque design stencil
Colour splash  - Berry Blast 
Floral border design


Finally, we come to an end to all my experiments!


Here's a quick wrap-up of all the above techniques -

  • The Sparkle paste can easily be applied to a card through stencils using a palette knife. 
  • It can be added over distress inks/oxides. This gives the colour/design beneath a shine and also lightens the colour effect.
  • Easy to apply over a die-cut. It is advisable to temporarily adhere the die-cut on a flat surface to get an even finish. 
  • The SP can be first applied to a cardstock and can be die-cut later once it dries completely. 
  • The negative of the die-cut can also be used as a mask to add texture to your cards.
  • It can be mixed with drops of colours from colour sprays to create various shades. It can also be mixed with distress inks/oxides to get various colours. (This can be done with Whipped cream which is cream in colour)
  • It gives awesome background shine in a subtle way when used on same coloured cardstock.
Overall a beautiful and economical product to give texture and colour to your projects. I am sure you must have already bought these and experimented with them. 
Here through my experiments,  I have tried to incorporate all the possible ways (I could think of) of using these Sparkle pastes in your projects. If there is any other way tried and tested by you, I would surely like to hear about it. Do share it with us!
A Big Thank you to all those who are still here reading this...lol... Looking forward to your creations with these sparkle pastes!


Playing along with
(Cards with sparkly hearts and thank you card)





No comments:

Post a Comment